Monday, November 8, 2010

Sorry Shakespeare, Your Academic Background Doesn't Cut It

      With unemployment rates at an all time high, students are having to pick majors that are more marketable to on-campus recruiters. The number of students majoring in the humanities has declined to a single-digit percentage across the country, weighing in at 8% in 2007 (I'm sure it is much lower now).
      While I personally despise taking general education courses, I do realize their fundamental value. Courses in the arts and humanities make students well-rounded. If I had only taken accounting classes throughout my entire academic career at USC, I would not graduate with the broad perspective that one attains by taking classes across all fields of study.
       I find it discouraging that students feel they no longer have the freedom to pursue majors that interest them based on whether or not it is easy to find a job with such credentials. I was lucky to stumble into a field of study that I loved, but also had great employment prospects (accounting)--but others are not as lucky.
       I hope this decline is cyclical, and that once the economy bounces back, students are no longer fearful to pursue a background in humanities. Although I begrudgingly attended my East Asian Languages & Cultures humanities class, I'd like to think I gained perspective and insight from broadening my academic horizons. Long live a liberal arts education!

No comments:

Post a Comment