Wednesday, October 20, 2010

New York Politics

     While I admit I have lost faith in the political party system in the U.S, I couldn't help but chuckle after reading an article in the Wall Street Journal about one of the gubernatorial candidates in New York. Jimmy McMillan has created a new political party surrounded by an issue that he is very passionate about-- the "Rent is Too Damn High" party (I wish I was clever enough to make this one up). McMillan promises, if elected, to lower rent for all U.S. citizens who are currently paying way too much in rent. McMillan even interviewed people on the streets of New York, and when one man replied he didn't pay a lot in rent, McMillan rebuttled "You know why? He still lives with his mama.”
     The ironic part about McMillan's platform is that he thinks paying $800/month in rent for an apartment in Brooklyn is expensive. I would love to pay $800/month for my own apartment in New York (and I know of others who would too).
      Nonetheless, no matter how ridiculous this man's platform is, I can't help but like the guy. He isn't trying to fit the "politician mold"-he feels passionately about an issue and hopes that others do too. While I don't plan on switching my affiliation to the "Rent is Too Damn High" party, I will call myself a Jimmy McMillan fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment