Wednesday, October 27, 2010

It's Settled: Blondes DO Have More Fun

           While I have been a blonde my entire life (all 21 years of it), I’ve always toyed with the idea of dying my hair darker. I always assumed that brunettes were taken more seriously than blondes in terms of intelligence and wit, which is something that appealed to me. According to the Lithuanian company Olialia, this is not the case.

            The company, who is planning to open a resort on one of the lovely islands in the Maldives, has one requirement for all potential employees: you MUST have blonde hair.

I’m not kidding.

            Not only must all of the employees of the resort have blonde hair, but Olialia mandates that the crew operating the aircraft that brings visitors to the island (including pilots) be blonde too. According to the managing director of the company (who is also blonde…SHOCKER), the company does not discriminate. She states, But we find that when women with dark hair work here, they are surrounded by all these beautiful blonds, so eventually they end up going blond too.” The managing director goes on to further say that the company is looking to change the stereotype associated with blondes and intelligence, stating "Our girls are very smart and they have degrees."

           While I appreciate Olialia's plight to free blondes from a stereotype that is vastly self-inflicted, the task of serving margaritas in scantily-clad bikinis to over-aged men on a remote island may not do the trick.


            

No comments:

Post a Comment