Sunday, September 5, 2010

Worth the Tuition?

I am a firm believer in the power of higher education. My love and passion for education led me to the realization that my ultimate career goal is to be an undergraduate professor at a business school. I am one of a small number of individuals who attended college in my family, which allowed me to personally witness the effect that knowledge and experience has on shaping the path of a person’s life. I am not advocating that all people who attend college will be successful; merely, that education gives individuals the tools and resources to reach their full potential. Since I am very interested in exploring this topic, I did some research on a few blog sites over the last few days. One subject in particular piqued my curiosity; the signaling theory of education.


This theory states that “to a significant extent, education does not increase workers’ productivity”. However, Bill Dickens’ response to Bryan Kaplan made a great argument for the benefits of education that go beyond the classroom.



Whether you value higher education or not, Dickens provides some food for thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment